FREEDOM IN HULL/AFRICA - SLAVE TRADE (4)



Jim and Jam were as tired as bunch of beaten dicks when Clifford arrived, they were everything but dead. Clifford was on of Edward’s neighbours, who really took pleasure in visiting him sometimes. He packed his car beside Edward’s, moved towards the house and then he noticed Jim and Jam. He began to wonder what business they still had with Edward, knowing fully well that all masters have been kindly paid off to release
their subjects. Maybe Edward was not at the meeting; maybe he hadn’t collected his share of the consolation prize. Clifford did not bother to greet the slaves; he pressed forward and entered the house. He was a strange look, putting on a white roll-sleeved shirt over blue jeans.
         Edward was sitting on one of his armchairs, resting his left foot on a stool when Clifford arrived. At the sight of Clifford, he jumped up to welcome him. Clifford was nothing but amazed, staring at him sheepishly.  He would not say Edward was drunk, and yet, he wouldn’t say he was ok. Edward seemed to be driven by the greed in his heart; he was quite blindfolded by it. When the seed of greed find fertile soil in a man’s heart, it spreads with an undeniable speed, goes beyond control and misdirects the thoughts of man. Edward was overexcited and highly exuberant about something in particular, Clifford could see it.
       “Good day Clifford,” Edwards greeted, offering him another armchair beside him.
       “Thank you,” Clifford responded, taking the offered chair.
       “So what could have been so important to have brought you all the way to my house? What could have been too heavy for the mouth and hands of your foolish slaves…….?”
       “That is why I’m here Edward,” Clifford started. “I wanted us to celebrate the moment we have all been waiting for. I mean, our freedom, the going of our slaves, the freedom of Hull. But I was surprised to see your subjects outside. Weren’t you at the meeting of freedom?”
       “Oh yes I was at the meeting.”
       “Didn’t you receive the consolation price?” Clifford continued.
       “Consolation price...? Yes I received it, for the two of them.”
       “Then why haven’t let them go. Don’t you know it’s now punishable under our law? Don’t you understand the consequences? Don’t you want freedom?” Clifford stated mouth ajar.
       “Well, I understand where you are coming from. But you see those African foolish things, I can’t let them go. Who will do all the work they are presently doing, who will offer their services? Never will I let them go, never.”
       “Edward, maybe you should reconsider. You have absolute nothing to lose if you let these slaves go. At least, you have gotten the.....”
Edward was already in rage now, he couldn’t take it anymore.
       “Clifford, you are making me angry. This is my house, and these are my slaves we are talking about here. I will not sit here and listen to your lecture on how to manage my business.”
       “Sorry Edward, I was only trying to advise...”
       “I don’t need your advice Clifford; I need my slaves, period.”
Clifford shook his head, “Then Edward, you leave me with no choice at all than to call on the security and investigating.....”
       “Look here Clifford, call on anybody you like. All I know is that my slaves are going nowhere!”
       Clifford left Edward’s house speechless. All the effort he made to make him realize that freedom was needed proved abortive. Thirty minutes later, the police came around and Edward was arrested for treason and a number of other crimes. At the same time, Jim and Jam were given their freedom. It was an era of freedom, Freedom in Hull and in Africa.
EPILOGUE…….. And we have pressed on since then until now, proclaiming the imperativeness of the freedom we now enjoy. We are one, the world is one.
THE END

Comments